Smilax recognises the fact that Research & Development is a vital component for sustainability, growth and long-term competitive advantage. Smilax has a pool of more than 40 scientists to transform it into a research-driven pharmaceutical company. The focus areas are complex APIs and API Intermediates for both regulated and semi-regulated markets.
Smilax R&D - Core strengths:
- Design and synthesis of APIs and their intermediates
- Development of non - infringing processes
- Identification, isolation/synthesis of impurities
- Development of alternative and cost-effective processes
- Chiral separations
- Studies on polymorphic forms
Intellectual Property Management:
In order to emerge as a major player in regulated markets such as the United States and the European Union as well as to evaluate IP issues, Smilax has set up an Intellectual Property Management Group.
The Company's competitive advantage is in capturing a large portfolio of approvals, backed by R&D effort that offers several patented non-infringing processes and intellectual properties, and a cost- effective mega manufacturing environment complying with the regulatory authorities.
The process of creating intellectual wealth starts off with judicious product identification, based on technological complexity and emerging opportunities. Intellectual Property Management deals with:
- Patent assessment
- Interpreting patent claims and handling infringement issues
- Handling IP related queries
- Finalisation of the non-infringing synthetic routes for APIs
- Protecting the company's inventions across the globe
As part of internal IP management, Smilax has signed a Confidentiality Disclosure Agreement (CDA) to protect all sensitive information before commencing business with its prospective business associates.